Learn to make homemade coffee syrup. This homemade coffee syrup requires just two ingredients and is perfect for adding to iced coffee, cocktails, and drizzling over desserts! Although some people believe that coffee should only be drunk black, some coffee drinkers like to give their beverages a little extra taste. A coffee syrup might be the most straightforward way to recreate your favorite specialty coffee drink from your favorite coffee shop.
Unlike coffee sauces, coffee syrups work well in both warm and cold beverages. Coffee sauces, which often have flavors like caramel or hazelnut, can only be used with hot drinks. They won’t blend in with coffee at temperatures below 195° Fahrenheit.
The good news is coffee syrups are super easy to make. After making it, you can use coffee syrup easily as it integrates with coffee more easily. You can also use syrup as a non-creamer way to enhance their drinks with specific flavors.
- Coffee: We will use freshly brewed coffee to make the simple syrup for this coffee syrup recipe. Any type of coffee, either fresh-brewed or cold-brewed, can be used.
- Sugar: You can use white sugar, brown sugar, or even coconut sugar.
- Vanilla: Add a vanilla extract to the skillet while the syrup simmers.
- Almond extract: Just a small amount added once the homemade syrup has cooled tastes delicious.
- Spices: You can use cinnamon stick or cinnamon powder, add while the syrup simmers.
- Brew the coffee. Brew the coffee using your favorite method. The aim is to make the coffee syrup taste stronger.
- Boil the coffee. Coffee should be added to a small pot along with your choice sugar or sweetener and heated to a gentle boil. Up till the sugar melts, stir continuously.
- Cool down the syrup. Turn down the heat to low and let it simmer for three to five minutes. You can simmer the mixture for an additional 15 to 20 minutes if you prefer a richer syrup.
- Transfer to the container. After letting the homemade coffee syrup cool, pour it into a clean glass container.
- Enjoy your syrup. Your syrup is ready to be added into your favorite drinks or desserts.
How to use your coffee syrup
You can use this syrup to make warm or iced milk coffee or lattes. Simply add a tablespoon or two of the coffee syrup to a glass of your favorite drinks. There are several other uses such as:
- Add to milkshakes.
- Make a coffee cream soda.
- Drizzle in hot chocolate
- Add to cocktails (i.e., espresso martini, white Russian, black Russian, etc.).
- Just a tablespoon will add flavor to other beverages as well. Flavor anything from tea to lemonade.
- Drizzle over ice cream or enjoy with ice cream floats.
- Brush over cakes or drizzle over frosted cupcakes or cake.
- Spoon over cheesecake.
- Drizzle over waffles, French toast, and pancakes and other breakfast treats.
- Drizzle over yogurt bowls with fruit.
- Enjoy with oatmeal and overnight oats.
- You can even add it to marinades and other homemade sauces to bring in extra flavor to your dishes.