Everyone loves desserts, and there is a huge selection of them out there. You can also easily look for any dessert recipes online with a click of a button like coffee jelly.
But while everyone knows how tasty a slice of chocolate cake or a cone of ice cream is, many are not aware of this delicious and fun dessert called coffee jelly. If you want to know more about the coffee jelly and how to make them, make sure to keep on reading!
What Is Coffee Jelly?
There are 2 main components to coffee jelly: black coffee (like espresso) and gelatin. Making coffee jelly is also quite simple as it only involves sweetening and heating your black coffee, mixing it with gelatin and water, before then letting it chill in the fridge.
Coffee jelly was one of the most famous desserts on the planet only half a century ago. Sadly, its popularity has fallen drastically in most countries with the exception of a few.
One of the few places where coffee jelly continues to be a crowd favourite is Japan. Better known locally as kohii zerii, it has been popular there all the way back since the 1960s. Nowadays, there are many coffee shops, restaurants, and even convenience stores in Japan that sell mouthwatering coffee jelly.
Is Coffee Jelly Healthy?
When consumed in moderation, coffee jelly can be considered one of the healthier desserts out there. Both gelatin and coffee provide a number of benefits such as elevating brain functionality and improving hair, joints, and skin health.
However, it does still contain sugar. You can reduce the sugar used in the recipe below if you want a healthier snack.
How Do You Make Coffee Jelly?
There are a few ingredients you will need to prepare to make your own coffee jelly at home:
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of gelatin powder (unflavoured)
- 2 cups of strong black coffee
- ¼ cup of water
- Other optional toppings such as whipped cream
Here is the step by step guide to making fantastic coffee jelly:
- Gather and prepare all of the above ingredients
- Pour your gelatin powder and water into a small bowl and mix it with a spoon
- Next, pour your freshly brewed espresso / black coffee into a saucepan along with your sugar
- Make sure you heat it on medium – high and leave it till it is nearly boiling
- Turn off the heat
- Pour the gelatin mixture into the saucepan and mix with a whisk until it completely dissolves
- Let it cool for about 15 minutes
- Pour the coffee gelatin mixture into a container (such as a shallow baking dish) before then placing it in the refrigerator to chill for 5 hours
- Once it has set, cut your coffee jelly into cubes
- Place your coffee jelly cubes into a glass or bowl and serve with your topping of choice (we recommend chocolate sauce, whipped cream, vla, or ice cream)
Tips For Making
- Make sure you use strong, black, and freshly brewed Arabica coffee. This will help enhance the flavour of your coffee jelly and form a wonderful aroma.
- It is better to brew your coffee using a non – electric brewer, such as French Press or moka pot, since they tend to produce richer textured coffee.
- You can store your coffee jelly for up to 2 days when put in an airtight container and placed in the fridge
- The amount of sugar used can be adjusted according to your preferences.