It doesn’t matter if you are a die – hard coffee aficionado or just someone who craves caffeine in the morning; you probably have heard of caramel macchiato.
This tasty and rich drink is one of the most well – known and loved coffee beverages in the world, and today we will be telling you all about it including how to make it from the comfort of your home. Make sure to read till the end!
What Is A Caramel Macchiato?
The caramel macchiato is an espresso – based drink that is synonymous with Starbucks, one of the most popular coffee shops in the world. This absolutely mouthwatering beverage can be served both hot and cold, making it perfect for any and all weather.
A cup of caramel macchiato at Starbucks (or if you are making it at home) usually consists of vanilla syrup, milk, caramel sauce, two shots of espresso, and an optional dash of whipped cream.
How Was Caramel Macchiato Invented?
The iconic caramel macchiato was first invented all the way back in 1996. It was the brainchild of Hannah Su and her Starbucks R&D team and was first marketed as a “limited – time” item.
However, due to the immense love the Starbucks faithful showed for this menu, they decided to make it a regular menu option. Fast forward over 25 years and the caramel macchiato is now one of Starbucks’ flagship drinks.
How Many Calories Are In A Caramel Macchiato?
The amount of calories present in a caramel macchiato differs depending on several factors. These include the size of the glass / mug, the fat content of the milk used, the amount of whipped cream on top, and many others.
However, the average caramel macchiato (both homemade and the one you can buy in Starbucks) has an average of 200 to 300 calories.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make A Caramel Macchiato?
You will need to prepare these ingredients before you start making your caramel macchiato:
- 2 shots of Arabica coffee espresso
- 2 tbsp of vanilla syrup
- 1 cup of steamed whole milk
- 2 – 3 tbsp of whipped cream
- ½ tbsp of caramel sauce
Steps To Make Caramel Macchiato At Home
Follow these steps to create your very own caramel macchiato at home:
- Start by brewing two shots of espresso using your preferred method (French Press, Moka Pot, Espresso Machine, etc)
- Pour your espresso into a mug and add vanilla syrup
- Stir well using a spoon
- Use a milk frother or microwave to steam your milk and pour it into the mug
- Stir some more until they are fully mixed
- Add some ice if you want it to be an iced caramel macchiato
- Finally, add your whipped cream and drizzle the caramel sauce on top. Your drink is ready to serve!
Tips For The Perfect Caramel Macchiato
Follow these guidelines to take your drink from delicious to downright fabulous:
- Avoid non – dairy milk (such as almond and oat milk) and use whole milk or skim milk. These two are the best for frothing as they create a creamy rich texture that will truly elevate your caramel macchiato
- Try to use freshly made / homemade caramel sauce. You can buy a jar of caramel sauce from the grocery store, but it is nowhere near as good as the caramel sauce that you make at home. Not only does it taste better, but it is also easy to make and helps you save a few dollars.
- Add ice to your drink for an extra refreshing beverage that is just perfect for hot and sunny Singaporean days.